Thursday, May 11, 2017

Walking in the City - The New York Botanical Gardens in May

After my trip to the New York Botanical Gardens in November I was determined to return at frequent intervals to enjoy the changing vistas provided by the seasonal plantings. A Christmas gift of an annual membership reinforced this determination, but somehow it's taken me until this week to make a return visit. I wish I hadn't put it off so long. I'd missed the daffodils and the cherry blossom, and the lilac was fading fast.


The last of the lilac bushes - a hint of what I'd missed






It was, however, the perfect time to see one of my favorite plants in bloom. The Azalea Garden was bursting with color.




The Botanical Gardens is currently exhibiting the work of Dale Chihuly, an American Glass Sculptor.
I have to admit I had never heard of the artist before and therefore was not sure what to expect, but was awestruck by how beautiful some of the pieces are and how well they fitted in among the plantings.





  

The photos don't do justice to the artwork. If you are in the area and have a chance to visit, I'd highly recommend it. The exhibit runs until the 29th October 2017. On some evenings the artwork will be illuminated. Sounds like yet another reason for a return visit to the New York Botanical Gardens!





Mel Parish writes contemporary fiction with a twist of mystery and suspense. Her latest novel Trust No One is now available from Amazon. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful colors. The glass sculptures blend so well with the flowers. Thank you for sharing, Mel.

    ReplyDelete