Thursday, February 22, 2018

Sixty at Sixty - Discovering Downton Abbey

When Downton Abbey first aired on television I watched an episode or two of the first season, but I wasn't enamored enough to follow it through to the end. Despite all the positive reviews that subsequent seasons garnered I never thought to give the show a second try despite having bought the first season on DVD for my husband one Christmas.

During a bout of flu at the end of January, I was desperate for something easy to watch to take my mind off how miserable I felt and, in my search, came across the DVD. It was just what I needed. The magnificent location and sets, the costumes, the shenanigans both upstairs and downstairs, they had me hooked from the first episode. So much so, that in a matter of weeks I worked my way through all six seasons. And then felt sad when I'd finished them all!

But, as luck would have it, I had one more chance to enjoy the show. New York is currently host to the Downton Abbey Exhibition. Originally planned to run from November to January, the exhibition has been so popular that it has been extended until April. Set over three floors of a midtown building, visitors have a chance to see the original sets, many of the costumes, and to learn more about life in the big houses for both those upstairs and downstairs.

The show starts with a video - Mr. Carson welcoming you to the house, albeit with some reluctance. He's obviously not a fan of letting the public into the house. He warns that he's keeping an eye on the silver and, after appearing to look us over, wonders disdainfully, "What on earth are you wearing?"



The first display is the kitchen. This set was created at Ealing Studios because the kitchen in Highclere Castle, the setting for the fictional  Downton Abbey, was no longer as it would have been back in the early 1900's.












The attention to detail was phenomenal. There was even a pot steaming on the range. A fun fact supplied was that after the set was built it was discovered that the table was too high for the actress playing Mrs. Patmore so the table legs had to be shortened.   










From the kitchen, it was into the servants' quarters where the 'upper house' servants had their meals and relaxed while waiting to be summoned to duty by the bells.


Prior to the introduction of the bell system, footmen would have to sit for hours on hard chairs in the hall waiting to take messages down to the more senior staff to let them know that they were required upstairs.


Next was the Butler's Pantry which despite it's name was basically the butler's office. Traditionally it would also be the place where all the valuable silver pieces were kept under lock and key!  




The second floor of the exhibit was given over, appropriately enough, to the upstairs sets. Many of the 'upstairs' scenes were shot in Highclere Castle itself, the spacious living rooms and hall providing ample space for cast, crew and cameras, but fortunately we were still able to imagine what it was like to dine in style at the lavish dinner table.                                                                                                                                    

We also had the opportunity to take a sneak peek into Lady Mary's bedroom, the scene of one of the more scandalous events of the show.

And of course, all the latest technology was on display: 








As fascinating as it was to view the sets, what I found most interesting were the displays with information not only about the characters but also more detail of what it would have been like for the real servants or aristocrats at the time. While there was a huge disparity in the way they lived, both were equally hedged in with rules and expectations. I'm thankful not to live in a time when the thickness of the cloth of the outfit I wear for an afternoon stroll is a matter of importance!

On the subject of clothing, the exhibition also includes more than 50 of the costumes from the show. 

Even the maids had to change outfits according to their duties

Day wear for the aristocrats


Lady Rose's 'coming out ' gown
Wedding best for the butler and housekeeper


Sybil's 'outrageous' new outfit

And, of course, the display would not be complete without numerous examples of the exquisite evening wear:





Throughout the tour there are sound and video snippets from the show which add to the authenticity  of the displays. A short video montage in what is designated as the library even gives the impression that the characters are right there with you.

The tour information suggests you allow an hour to an hour and a half for the exhibition, but I spent well over two hours there. The New York run is the first in a multi-city tour although the next stop has yet to be announced. If you are a Downton Abbey fan and it comes to a city near you, I would highly recommend a visit. It's enough to make you want to watch the show all over again! 

And I'm certainly adding Highclere Castle to my list of places to visit one day.

When Mel is not out exploring she writes contemporary fiction with a twist of mystery and suspense. Her latest novel Trust No One is now available from Amazon. 

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! The costumes are always my favourite part of a period drama. And the kitchen. And the ballrooms...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore visiting historic houses, large and small, so I tend to be more interested in the sets than the clothes, but there certainly were some fabulous dresses in this show.

      Delete
  2. OMG! I would love this exhibit. I hope it comes to Chicago. I did see some of the exquisite costumes when they made their way here for a Mother's Day treat a few years ago. They were gorgeous. I'd love to see the sets. Thanks for sharing this, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to see it, Karen. I'm surprised there has not been an announcement about where the exhibit will go next, but I wonder if that is because if the plans to make a movie this year come to fruition, they'd need the sets back! (Apparently the castle has been booked for a week in June for indoor filming.)

      Delete
  3. That's very exciting. I still miss this show. I've been scouring Amazon prime for more period dramas. They are a great escape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been doing the same with Netflix - though I suspect Prime has more choice.

    ReplyDelete