Sunday, June 23, 2013

Day 3 in Maine

Sadly, day 3 in Maine was our last full day. We made the most of it by taking another hike – this time a gentler climb on the Gorham Mountain Trail, albeit with even more stunning views than our first walk. We followed this with a stroll along Ocean Trail which hugs the coast for about three miles and passes Thunder Hole where the rock formation forces waves into a narrow inlet with a crescendo worthy of its name.















I found myself wishing we had planned a longer visit. The beauty of the area would certainly justify it, and Bar Harbor provides an idyllic base with its small town friendliness and a range of eateries to satisfy every appetite, but at least the short visit had allowed me to achieve several goals. I had visited a part of the country I had always wanted to see; I’d had a chance to get some fresh air and exercise, both much needed after being desk-bound while publishing my second book and, given that the imagination never really takes a vacation, I’d been able to do some research for my current writing project which just happens to be set in Maine.






No comments:

Post a Comment